RCU Forums - View Single Post - Becoming a Good at F3A - What does it take?
Old 06-15-2016, 04:56 PM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by thermalstudent
Thanks for all the help so far.
I'm looking at the schedules/rules etc, .... lots of maneuvers to learn.

I'm wondering about the pattern plane. I've got several pattern planes identified for sale locally for what seem to be very reasonable prices - one is a Vanquish, can't remember the others, They are not the latest and greatest composite beauties but what do I really need to start and at what level (Advanced, Master or ....?) could I eventually work my way up to competing with say a Vanquish?
As big_G said, the Vanquish is probably the best entry level model out there right now at that price point. There are several out at our field and you'll usually see a number of them at any Pattern meet you attend.

As to what class; it's normally Sportsman for folks just starting especially if you've never flown any aerobatic competitions like IMAC or something, which would give you a base to judge your capability. I have a friend who'd flown IMAC for awhile and he started with Intermediate but it took him awhile to win a meet. It would really help to have someone with some experience watch you fly and give you an opinion.