RCU Forums - View Single Post - Club FOX!
Thread: Club FOX!
View Single Post
Old 06-26-2016, 03:32 PM
ochsnm00

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hsukaria
I tried to remove the prop driver on my Fox 45 with heat and prying it with 2 screwdrivers, but no dice. The prop driver is in there real tight. I was heating it with a heat gun. Should I go to oven or crockpot for loosening the prop driver?

Another sad story: I was flying my plane with a compact Fox 40 (C-case) that has the iron piston and stell sleeve. I flew it a couple of tankfuls and then suddenly it began to act up. I noticed that there was some dirt that got on the engine. I cleaned it thoroughly at home and took it back today for flying. The engine now quits suddenly at WOT even though it starts, idles, and transitons nicely. Seems like a compression loss when the engine heats up?

Any ideas to help with either engine is greatly appreciated.

Despondent it Detroit
The prop driver is on a tapered shaft, you may think it is really stuck until it pops right off. Put the engine in the freezer, after it's cold quickly heat the driver with a propane torch until spit sizzles. It should pop right off. The trick is to heat the driver without heating the shaft. If you don't do it right you'll have to start over. Once you get it right you will always know how to do it.