RCU Forums - View Single Post - Another Drone Pilot does it Again
View Single Post
Old 06-27-2016, 09:07 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by franklin_m
I don't think it's necessary to write the Governor, other than to support his decision, which I do.

I am however writing a letter to both Senators and my Congressmen asking them to support (via amendments) two issues:

(1) A national 400 foot limit on sUAS operations. The case I argue to them is that if they're going to restrict trained and certified operators (part 107 operators) to 400 feet and below out of concern for manned aircraft above 500 feet, then why allow a potentially larger group of untrained and uncertified operators (those 180,000 AMA members for example), to exceed that limit?

(2) In light of this most recent TFR incursion, I'm also asking them to support (via amendment), more more severe fines for violating any TFR that restricts operations of "all aircraft" whether or not "model aircraft" are specifically mentioned. Some believe that even if a TFR mentioned "all aircraft", that it does not mean "model aircraft" even though FAA has articulated that "model aircraft" are indeed a subcategory of "aircraft." See note.

Note: In the FAA interpretation of the special rule for model aircraft, on page 16 part IV "Examples of Regulations That Apply to Model Aircraft," the FAA uses as an example that a TFRs. In that paragraph on page 17, the FAA said that "the third category of rules relevant to model aircraft operations are rules relating to operations in areas covered by temporary flight restrictions and NOTAMs found in §§91.137 through 91.145. The FAA would expect that model aircraft operations comply with restrictions on airspace when established under these rules." So, it appears that if a TFR is issued under 91.137 through 91.145, whether or not "model aircraft" are specifically mentioned, the TFR still applies.
Hey Frankie do U even fly R/C anymore? We've been flying above 400 feet for 80+ years. If anything have your Senators and congressman suggest that the FAA mark "ALL" Registered Flying sites as SUA or Alert Areas (google the destination of each) as applied to Aviation Sectional Charts. Besides it is illegal for any maned air craft to be below the highest object within 2000' horizontal of any OCCUPIED R/C Flying Field. Check it Out right here.
FAR
91.119(b) Over congested areas. Over any congested area of a city, town, or settlement, or over any open air assembly of persons, an altitude of 1,000 feet above the highest obstacle within a horizontal radius of 2,000 feet of the aircraft.

Simple as that It's the responsibility of ALL full scale Pilots to be at a minimum 1000' + Above any R/C Field with 2 or more people present. Flying or "NOT". I don't know why that is so hard to understand...It's plain English, Something exceptional for the FAA.