RCU Forums - View Single Post - Another Drone Pilot does it Again
View Single Post
Old 06-27-2016, 11:41 AM
franklin_m

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chris P. Bacon
If I remember correctly, the preference was entirely based on financial reasoning with no consideration given to promoting the hobby.
While economics are part of it, so too is what I call logistical overhead. That being defined as the time spent packing aircraft and equipment, driving, unpacking aircraft and equipment, setup of aircraft and equipment, breakdown of aircraft and equipment, repacking of aircraft and equipment, drive home, and unpacking and storing aircraft and equipment in the garage again. In the case of the closest club field, there's at least two hours tied up in that. It mixes in economics when you then add the $100 a year for the club. It does not count waiting for the 3D plane that's hovering over the runway to land / clear to fly.

In my own way, I promote the hobby by reminding folks here and elsewhere that you don't need to fly at a club field to enjoy the hobby. In fact, if you're flexible with respect to the type of aircraft, then there's a number of flying sites available nearby. If you're so inclined, and if you're on a budget, you can then plow club dues into things that fly and just buying access to a flying site.