RCU Forums - View Single Post - Warbird Racing on the East Coast
View Single Post
Old 06-30-2016, 04:26 AM
Tommy_Gun

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JeffH
The two grass fields near me are not not putting green but still pretty good. Smaller foamies can taxi on them. The only truly putting green surface that I know of is Triple Tree, home of the Joe Nall.

Paved runways are few and far between on the east coast. There are two in Northern VA/MD. The fields near Fredricksburg are all grass I do believe, but the two that I mentioned are not THAT far away from the 'Burg.

My field has a 180Ft Fiberglass mat runway, which would be fine but refer back to the comment about the pilots having to stand a good ways away from the runway due to trees. There is one club near me that has an asphalt runway, but they have a altitude restriction due to being close to an airport. Of course racers do not normally need much altitude!!
The other good part is that you are within 5-6 hours of Old Julian Airport in NC where they have a dedicated pylon site, but as far as I know, no Warbird racing yet.

Are the rules that you pointed me to the same that are being used at the Nats this year?
No, the rules that are being used at the NATs are not "exactly" the same as the SAMs rules.

The SAMs rules are what have been used in the NorCal area for quite awhile and with great success in participation and satisfaction of the competitors.

I will be flying out there next month after our July 3st race, for a face to face with the folks at the new facility where I may be working soon.

Have you done any leg work to find out if any of the local clubs would be willing to support such an event out there yet.
If a small foamie can fly off the grass, then a warbird racer with normal wheels should be fine.