RCU Forums - View Single Post - old timers look here must be 50+ years only
Old 06-30-2016, 07:02 PM
flyboy2610
My Feedback: (1)

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by flyboy2610
I remember my first balsa model was a Comet high wing plane. I don't recall the exact model. that was probably around 1970 when I was 9. I built numerous Comet and Guillow's kits from that point on. I don't remember any of them ever flying more than about fifteen feet! And those were the good flyers!
I also had a couple of the plastic Cox U-control models. They never flew very well either.
Back in the late 90's-2000 I was a member of the local RC club learning to fly. Life, career changes and everything else got in the way, so I dropped out of the hobby for several years. Now I'm slowly getting back in.
That first model has proven to be very costly as the years have gone by.

Originally Posted by donnyman
Getting back into modeling can be a kick in the pocket......What are you flying now?

You may cut your cost by picking stuff up at swap meets but be careful there is a lot of junk out there.

Good luck and welcome back.
At the moment I'm not flying anything. I'm working on repairing (hangar rash) and recovering a Hobbico Superstar 60, also converting it from a trike to a taildragger. I think that will become my second plane, though. I plan to get a Great Planes PT-60 (had PT-40 I was learning on) and build that for my (re-)trainer. I still have my Futaba Skysport 6 system and a Magnum XL61 engine, but I'm thinking of going with a four stroke of about 90 size.
Lost my overtime at work, so the paychecks are down by about 30%. Making ends meet, but not much left for toys right now, so it'll probably be next year before I really start flying again. (WOW! AMA is up to $75 per year!)
Thanks for asking and the advice! Happy landings!