RCU Forums - View Single Post - Servo Question TF F4U Corsair by TF.
View Single Post
Old 07-01-2016, 04:45 AM
gregoryshock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Servo Question TF F4U Corsair by TF.

Airplane: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXHU80

Due to many issues that I'm not going into on this thread, I think I'm going to just scrap my build. But if you can convince me that it's worth continuing I might....

Before I throw up my hands and quit. I want to explore something here:

One of the problems is the servo set up on the ailerons. TF wanted me to use just one standard servo to power both ailerons. They did this by running nylon push rods out to bell cranks and then to each aileron. I hate nylon push rods because in my experience on my hog biplane by sig they change a lot. Expand and then you loose your trim settings. And not just by a click or two, but sometimes 4 or 5. On the biplane I was riding my trim all the way to the end, and then I had to re adjust it on the airplane, only to change it again in the air. Eventually I was right back where I started (repeat) Finally I replaced the nylon with a metal push rod and the whole problem went away. For that reason when I was building my Corsair I decide to put servos at each aileron.

As I was building the Corsair, there was a lot of online researching, and trial and error going on. My Dad noticed that the weight of the airplane kept going up and and up. This caused my Dad and I many arguments and frustrations. We looked over things online and thought that we could save a little weight by using one of these http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXN676 at each aileron.

Last summer it was finally time to put the finishing touches on the set up. That's when the real problems began. I realized that I didn't know what propeller would fly the plane with the engine I installed. I did lots and lots and lots of research. For about a month I talked with the experts, as well as people in the forums, and got lots of conflicting information. By the end I had to just make a guess and the guess was wrong. The airplane made it up a few feet and wouldn't clime any higher. I had to crash land it into some tall grass.

The Damage wasn't bad.... And yet it was bad enough.... While everything is fixable (meaning I can get it back to the condition it was in before the crash) There are some things in the build of the model that I don't think is worth changing to make right. That's why I'm thinking about throwing the model away.

Right after the crash all of the servos are fine but the micro servo gears stripped out. Did I make a mistake by using those servos at each Aileron? *If it was a mistake, then I think I'm ready to throw the model away. The problem is it doesn't look like I'll be able to fit in standard servos at each aileron. There is also a big question on the weight they might add to the model. (My Dad has argued with me about that)

Total Model Weight before the crash:
About 9 to 10 pounds.

Engine before crash
OS 75.

Current Engine:
OS 91.

Current Weight:
Unknown.

Current Condition of Model.

Last edited by gregoryshock; 07-01-2016 at 05:29 AM.