RCU Forums - View Single Post - Question about Model Airplane Weight Limits
Old 07-04-2016, 11:13 AM
gregoryshock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by j.duncker
It was good that you came back with the report even when the outcome was less than optimum.

BTW getting an underpowered warbird witn an aft CG back on the ground in repairable condition IS A RESULT. Mostly they go home in a trash bag.

Here is a RCU thread on the 95 discussing props. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/glow...s-95-ax-4.html

IMHO it is a toss up between the 13 x 6 and the 14 x 6 in APC for your model.

When you have it on the bench look to see if you can move stuff forward. With short nose models I would often have all servos as far forward as possible up against the bulkhead at the back of the tank. The throttle servo can go on the side of the engine. The battery would get mounted on the engine bulkhead I have even fitted a small engine mount with long arms to the bulkhead and moved it to the front of that. [ Fokker triplane ] I really HATE having to add lead. Because light models fly better.

But better to have to add lead than to fly with a rearward CG.
The manuals wasn't any help, which is why I had to try "google" "youtube" and the "forums"

I like sharing my results. I think sharing my results might be helpful to someone searching for answers. However last year I got really tired and even a bit mad at my threads. As a beginner to war birds I never encountered the kinds of issues I faced building this plane. Often times the discussions caused me lots of confusion and frustration. People often disagree with each other. That kind of disagreement is fun for those who already have experience. But for those of us who are just stepping into something for the first time it's a mess.

I was surprised to learn that 3 bladed propellers don't work on 2 stroke engines very well. I was even more surprised to learn that the max size 2 bladed propeller size that OS mentions in the Engine Manual doesn't turn the RPM that the OS support says the engine needs to turn in order to have the power it needs. Those three things right there messed me up big time. Then add in the fact that it's extremely hard, if not impossible, to build the fu4 within the weight range that Top Flite says it can be built in. I didn't know who to believe anymore, my Tach and Taxi pull results wasn't adding up to everything I was reading in manuals, support, and forums. I had to crash my plane in order to learn the truth.

* In case anyone misses the point I'm trying to make: Due to the difference between OS Manual and OS Support. I couldn't know who the "experts" really is. Only the crash told me. Another way to say it: If the "experts" don't agree then who do you believe? I can say the same thing about Top Flite telling you that you can build it for 7-9.5lbs, when everyone I talked too online ended up 10 lbs and over. Even when I emailed top flite directly and asked them how they managed to build their prototype at 7lbs, they didn't answer the question. Instead they avoided a direct answer and just said "depends on how much glue you use" Well duh! But you need to have enough glue to hold it together.

I don't know for sure if I'll ever get this bird in the air. For the time being I decided to move onto another War Bird. Something that looks easier to build and hopefully easier to set up and operate. My Dad and I might work on the Corsair during the winter. Depending on how things turn out for us will determine if the plane lives or dies.

Last edited by gregoryshock; 07-04-2016 at 11:36 AM.