RCU Forums - View Single Post - What's wrong with this motor/esc? Why is it so cheap?
Old 07-07-2016, 03:34 PM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by RustyUs
One down; two to go.

Go figure. The one 120A Tyrannosaurus Rex ESC that I beat on the most, in my Yeti, takes the punishment like a champ. Today, the newest "Blue 120A" (TSKY/T. Rex) ESC that's mounted on my 1/8 buggy finally gave up. Only running 3S packs on the stinkin' thing...literally smells like fireworks! I put the buggy on the ground and off we went for about fifty feet. I went to go check it out; the closer I got, the stronger the burnt smell was. I thought for sure the LiPo was gonna start smokin'.
Hooked up an external BEC up to the one "blue" 120A ESC that fried (internal BEC toasted), and we're back in 3S business again. Even running 1/8 scale buggy in 90°F outside temps didn't trip the over heat protection circuits any longer.

I must note that after using the CC BEC for only two battery packs, I can see my servo working much faster now. I sure the torque has increased as well. Amazing what these low budget 120A ESCs hold you back from .