RCU Forums - View Single Post - P-38 Lightning Brotherhood
View Single Post
Old 07-11-2016, 06:54 AM
mikes68charger
My Feedback: (34)

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I didn't know there was a P38 Club, can I join .... LOL

I rebuilt this Ziroli P38 with 2 DL 50 motors, Robart Retracts. Its a great Flying bird, I did add a Demon Cortex gyro to it, and it really changed it.

I love the Cortex Gyro in my jets, but it really locked this bird in, doing low or high speed fly bys you could see no movement rock sold, and helped on my loops also.

This is a great flying plane, sadly I had 2 belly landings in one month, the first at a NASA Scale event in Muncie IL the home of our AMA insurance, the retracts just would not come down, turned out the bolt around the Robart air valve came off and the servo was just moving it around, broke both my Belia 3 blade props and ripped up my home made muffler, I found a shop to weld the muffler local so I could still compete, but it cost me $100, and $220 in props. Smooth belly landing did not shut the motors off.

2nd was at my flying field, and we have the great beans, well this time only one retract would not come down, so I thought it better to belly land it in the beens vs our run way as our grass is very short and hard, this time I was about 3 feet up from the beans had my boy shut the motors off, bad Ideal, it really stopped flying quick and slightly stalled on the left wing, It destroyed the left wing, and cracked up the fuze in a few spots. And still lost the props!

So I have rebuilt the wing and fuse and will start repainting again this week, going to stay with a 2 blade 21X12 vs 3 blades fly's so much better with 2 blade, with the power hungry Bleia 3 blade 20X10 I was barely able to do a simple loop, and even a wing over was a challenge. But with the 2 blade props, its a speed monster, and flys a light as any of my Top Flite Giant Birds with DLE 55.

Sucks I loved the look of the 3 blade props on the ground and the air, but the difference in flight was night and day, I thought about trying the Xora wood 3 blade props, but Im sick of all the $ Im putting into props with this bird. Anyone have a 3 blade prop they love with there P38?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20160207_225153.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	2.10 MB
ID:	2172385