RCU Forums - View Single Post - Beginner Builder Seeking Advice
View Single Post
Old 07-19-2016, 05:55 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by GSXR1000
I read it... did you read.... and i qoute " (need a durable body as I will crash a lot.)" there is no durable wooden kit for a true crash..... so i told the truth.... and the majority of instructors and vet fliers discourage kit building for 1st plane cause they don't want the flier to get discouraged.... so you are saying build a kit and take time consuming repairs for it... with a foamy and crash he can be up in the air in hours or minutes instead of glueing toothpicks back together in case of major crashes.. and FYI building a kit doesn't construe a true aeromodeller and if you read my post correct, I said only if he going at this solo building and flying...did i list my suggestions...so appearantly you didn't read my post thoroughly....
Okay, let me repost the original post at the start of the thread:
Hey all!

I am a beginner builder and flier (own 2 Walmart quality airplanes.) I am looking to turn my game up and build my own 4 channel aircraft. I'm not looking to make anything fancy (need a durable body as I will crash a lot.) Can anyone suggest a build and some equipment/credible brands I might need?

Any help appreciated!

If you note the line hi-lighted in blue, he's flown a couple of toy grade planes already. He now "want's to up his game and build a four channel aircraft". That eliminates ARFs, ARCs and foam planes.
Two of us have recommended the Kadet. B2B recommended the PT 40 with OS power. These fall right into what was asked in the line hi-lighted in red.
Where you say there is no durable wooden kit for a true crash, that is true. It is just as true, however, for a foam plane. What is also true for foam planes is:
1) They are generally very small when compared to balsa kits
2) They are generally very quick to react to control inputs when compared to a balsa kit
3) They area pretty much always electric powered.
4) They are pretty much a "throw away" toy when compared to a balsa kit
5) There is no "investment" such as building time when dealing a foamy. Unlike a kit, if you crash, it's more of a "so what, I'll just go buy another one" type of deal, ideal for today's "instant gratification society".

Last edited by Hydro Junkie; 07-19-2016 at 05:58 PM.