RCU Forums - View Single Post - 400 foot? NOPE
Thread: 400 foot? NOPE
View Single Post
Old 07-23-2016, 06:47 AM
franklin_m

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by init4fun
Franklin , I would like to hear your thoughts on who would do the inspections of +55# models . Do you think only the FAA should do it ? If the FAA doesn't have enough inspectors (and won't hire more) should the FAA defer these inspections to a private entity ?

At least as far as motor vehicle law goes in the state I live in , you most certainly are legally bound to pay a private company to inspect your car , in other words the government forcing you to do business with a private company if you want to drive legally* . Why would it be any different for the FAA to say you need an inspection of +55# models and send you to a private company for that inspection ?

* My state does not have state run inspection facilities . A driver must take his car to the local auto repair shop that has been subcontracted by the State to do inspections .

Sure. That's a good question a very good example to use for comparison.

I say mirror what we see already works for vehicles. Inspections for sUAS >55lb would be done by private organizations authorized to do so by the government, but with the items to be inspected and pass / fail criteria established not by the organizations but rather by the government. Prices for such inspections would be set by the government and CBOs would not be permitted to refuse inspections. This provides the consistency and equal access to the public's airspace that will be necessary should other CBOs arise.

That's the same model that works pretty darned well for motor vehicles in many states. It's also pretty similar to what works for most pilot certifications.