View Single Post
Old 07-23-2016, 11:51 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by init4fun
So far , folks such as Franklin , AND ,

Mike , Crispy , and myself that I'm sure of , have put forth the idea for the need of inspections of large models over 55# and the AMA agrees with us , such inspections are required of our members and it just makes good safety sense for a second set of eyes to look over the plane . Now , being AMA members , even if there is at present a small additional cost associated with the inspection* (along with paying your AMA dues) , that would have to be cheaper than the cost of hiring out such inspection on the open market . This is the threshold of which I refer , how much will a NON AMA member be willing to pay for the inspection that would ultimately be cheaper as another benefit of being an AMA member ? Sorry I didn't make the ; "how much will a NON member be willing to pay" part clearer .......

* I have no idea if there is a present day AMA fee for inspecting a +55# model , five of my models together don't weigh that ...
If the feds don't require someone to join a CBO, just operate via the safety rules and regs of one, why would anyone need to charged a fee for any inspection? I'm all for safety as well, even more so for a 55 pound plane, but again, this seems like a solution in need of a problem. And Franklin has already noted his motivation for this is to take something away from the AMA...the folks that have been doing this for how many years now? His suggestion seems to be to involved the feds even more so in the hobby. Now they will need to administer a program whereby vendors are selected to inspect airplanes for a fee? More administration, more bureaucracy, more layers.

Is really being done out of concern for safety? In my opinion, it doesn't look to be done for that reason.