RCU Forums - View Single Post - 400 foot? NOPE
Thread: 400 foot? NOPE
View Single Post
Old 07-25-2016, 05:05 AM
rcmiket

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by init4fun
Franklin , I would like to hear your thoughts on who would do the inspections of +55# models . Do you think only the FAA should do it ? If the FAA doesn't have enough inspectors (and won't hire more) should the FAA defer these inspections to a private entity ?

At least as far as motor vehicle law goes in the state I live in , you most certainly are legally bound to pay a private company to inspect your car , in other words the government forcing you to do business with a private company if you want to drive legally* . Why would it be any different for the FAA to say you need an inspection of +55# models and send you to a private company for that inspection ?

* My state does not have state run inspection facilities . A driver must take his car to the local auto repair shop that has been subcontracted by the State to do inspections .
As a CD I can ( and have) done inspections for members along with the other CD's and LM's in my club. We take this very seriously but I am comfortable doing them for the people I know since I also know how they build and fly. That's the only reason I'll sign off on them. The fact that I've watched these being built I'm very sure about construction and everything else that's gone into the air frame. This makes a big difference on my end.
Mike

Last edited by rcmiket; 07-25-2016 at 05:07 AM.