RCU Forums - View Single Post - Why use two electronic sound boards?
View Single Post
Old 07-25-2016, 03:56 PM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The TBS has one of the best if not the best sound engine architecture Everything is flash memory on to the card so the response is immediate, giving you a super smooth engine rev run up. The reason some people use it with other boards is because it sounds so good. It is a sound and lighting board only. It has no ESC or IR capability at all.

However because the stock boards are so bad any of the 3 rd party complete boards are a big improvement, and for most people whether it is a Clark, Beier, IBU2,IBU3,Asp or Elmod, the improvement is good enough

Again Sollie doesn't sell these things and has used most of them, including building great sound files for most of them, so he knows that side of the board too.. Some have no interest in making their own files, so these facts about the boards escape them, and the sound architecture doesn't even get discussed. However if you happen to be one of those people who get something out of making your tank sound unique, the ease of generating your own sound files could be important.

You also have to be aware that on you tube you can make the card sound good, with long static start up files and preprogrammed sound bytes that you trigger from a switch. I have watched videos that really focuses on the start up sound, mg, or Cannon. These are simple files. For me it was the engine moving from idle through the rev band and back again. For me the deciding factor was how does the tank sound when you just move the throttle stick forward. Are you able to rev the engine with the throttle stick. On acceleration is the transition to running smooth with no annoying tone change or delay. These are the things that mattered to me and that is why I sold the TBS. Stopping and starting, how many variations do you need for a Maybach. A cold start and a warm start, and a shut down are probably enough. I know my vehicle makes the same sound starting over and over again, and the shut down is the same.

I used to be a music guy and would program a sound track in the TBS, but after awhile I got tired of this. I switched to using ambient battle sound instead of music. Voices are another thing that get old in a hurry. Sound cool the first couple of times but after that it just becomes an obvious recording from the tank.

Here is a Panther file I did up on the TBS, No audio editing , no preprogrammed engine sounds that need to be triggered from a switch. All the engine sound by just moving the throttle stick forward. The only thing triggered by a switch is the ambient battle sound.

First timer with sound maybe stick to a board that others close to you are using. You will have a lot of help. Failing that you need to find someone who gives great support, because all of these things have a learning curve and you will find way to mess it up and most probably will need to get it straightened out.

The TBS can be used with any of the other cards if you find you can't get it sounding good enough for your ear. I have built a lot of sound files and the TBS is a breeze compared to the others I have used. Having said all of this the sounds Sollie is producing from the IBU3 are good, and the ASP sounds good, but have no idea how much effort or transmitter switches you are flicking to get it to sound like that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkBAG3UFuo4

Last edited by YHR; 07-25-2016 at 04:13 PM.