RCU Forums - View Single Post - 400 foot? NOPE
Thread: 400 foot? NOPE
View Single Post
Old 07-25-2016, 04:24 PM
rcmiket

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie
While I agree that airworthiness inspections should be carried out the same regardless of who the builder is, they are effective in vastly reducing incidents. I have been appointed as an inspector in many events that I have gone to and have deemed a few airplanes not flight worthy. I truly beleive I have prevented a few crashes. These were mostly at pylon races where linkages are checked, hinges, engine mounts, wing attachments, I look for any part of the airplane that could be ejected in flight. I have seen things like so much slop in the aileron torque rods that the ailerons had 1/8" play, I found one airplane where the rudder throw was backwards, one that the vertical fin was cracked at the attachment point, I have found loose servo trays. All these had the potential of property damage and injury. Obviously impossible to say exactly what was prevented other then the potential of a serious accident.
Inspecting at a fly in or contest is not the same as a over 55lb inspection. Just talk a look at the paperwork. Not only is the air frame inspected but the pilot must fly several flights in front of the inspectors to prove competence to be signed off. Even with all this anything can happen and does all the time. A guy who spends the time and money on a over 55 lb air frame has minor BS addressed long before asking for the inspection and waiver.

How this went from over 55lb inspections and who should do them to this is beyond me.
Mike

Last edited by rcmiket; 07-25-2016 at 04:34 PM.