RCU Forums - View Single Post - Why use two electronic sound boards?
View Single Post
Old 07-26-2016, 05:21 AM
ausf

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dan's correct on so many points.

I've been playing bass a few years short of 40 now and have used the gamut of amps from the old tube Kustom and SVTs, to the new Apogee interfaces that I just run through an iPad to the sound engineer. I used to build my own stage cabinets, so I have an understanding of sound quality.

That said, the TBS is a remarkable piece of equipment. Unfortunately, even with a really good amp and the best Visation speaker you gan get, there's only so much performance you can get out of what can fit in a 1/16 tank model (even worse once you close it up). I only say that because you need to understand the limits before drop $400 on the board, amp, speaker and interface. The size limits only allow a certain range, if you choose to aim towards the lows for booming bass of the main cannon, you loose the highs that cut through. There's a reason why good stereo speakers have tweeters, mids and woofers, nothing will do it all. So we take a speaker smaller than a good tweeter and expect it to sound like all three while jammed in a moving plastic box. Well, at least I did and I know better.

Just trying to keep you from chasing your tail. I did. Don't get caught up in the youtube videos either, none do the TBS justice. Not only isn't the medium good for sound, the recording is suspect even if the guy knows what he's doing. There's a reason why professional singers aren't singing into a iPhone on stage. You tube reminds me of a TV commercial for a TV. How the heck am I supposed to tell how nice the picture is if I'm watching on my crappy set?

About tanks themselves: It's hard to keep the interest over a prolonged period. With AC, you can always improve your skills, with cars, etc, you can always race of go faster, etc. Tanks move slowly and do some stuff. Trust me, I love 'em, but there's only so much they do. That's why the guys who stick with it get into IR battling. It breathes air into the hobby. I couldn't wait to get the Tamiya Tiger I when it came out. I love that tank, built a small library on the subject, loved scale modeling, etc. When I finally got it, I marveled at the engineering, built it slowly, super detailing it with the Aber kit, followed other builds of it, etc. Loved it, absolutely loved it. Drove it around a bunch, then a little less, then maybe once every few months, then it sat. After a few years, I completely dismantled and rebuilt it as an initial. Drove that once or twice, back on the shelf. Then on a whim, I bought two battle units and holy cow did the flood gates open. Me and my sons when having such fierce battles I have to grind the Futaba TX sticks smooth because the pointed caps were slicing our fingers. I'm not kidding. That led to another three Tamiyas, a HL conversion, a Trumpeter/Tamiya conversion, a Kubel, a Schwimm...

Now my kids are getting ready for college, the local club hasn't met in over a year and the tanks sit again. I built a RC camera dolly, grabbed some small cameras for FPV, but nothing has held interest much.

In terms of Tamiya-san. Yes, according to his book, the Tiger I full Option was a pet project, he himself travelled around measuring existing examples back in the 80s. From a business stand point, it can't be profitable for them. Its too involved and too large for the return. They release a 1/48 Fieseler Storch kit for $75 and it can't be kept on the shelf it's so popular and that fits in a box the size of hardcover. Mr. Tamiya was a school boy during WWII, is semi-retired from the company now, I wouldn't count on him being around too much longer and doubt the FO tank line will last long after he does. I think the proposed Tiger discontinuation was the writing on the wall.