RCU Forums - View Single Post - FAA: CBO Membership NOT required to comply with 336
Old 07-27-2016, 07:12 AM
franklin_m

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by init4fun
I'd prefer the option of either the recognized CBO , or the FAA , do the inspection depending on the choice of the owner . Someone wants to go the CBO route , fine , let the CBO sign off on it . They don't want to belong to the CBO , fine , let the FAA do it . Either way the inspection criteria should be the same and the end result would be that the few who fly planes that large would still have a choice between CBO or FAA . It's been said earlier in this thread and I'm inclined to believe that there are likely very few indeed flying +55# model aircraft who aren't in the at present only recognized CBO , but even if there are only one of them your right he does deserve the option of having either a CBO or FAA inspection depending on whether he wants to belong to the CBO or not . Of course the flipside being if there is an FAA inspection available , there should be no reason to ask the CBO to inspect non member aircraft , if they don't want to be members fine take the FAA's inspection path to the skies instead ...
I don't think we're that far apart on this. I think you hit on an important issue, and that is consistency. I don't even mind if the AMA does them on behalf of the FAA, I just don't think they should be permitted to refuse inspections for non-members. If they charge members for inspections, then charge non-members the same. If no charge for members, then no charge for non members. The point is to remove the issue of membership from the discussion.