RCU Forums - View Single Post - A modified Kadet Sr silk and doped.
View Single Post
Old 07-29-2016, 08:28 PM
soarrich
My Feedback: (98)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I took my fuse the other day to have my friend look it over, he said it was coming along well. He pointed out that at the bottom front of the windshield there was a bridge forming, very small, but he said it would just continue growing as the dope aged. You would not believe how hard I had put that silk down, I was afraid of that area so I had cut a small strip about 1" wide and really pulled it down tight and still it started bridging across the angle. My friend said the thing to do was cut the bridge out then put some epoxy in it's place, so I did. I forgot to take pictures of the little bridging spots but I got some pictures of the repair. The first picture is showing how much I cut out, I wanted to get all the bridging out, no matter how small it was. The second picture shows the epoxy with fairing compound. The third picture shows it with one coat of dope, I'll sand it and recoat several times to get it right

I got a real big scare, because my friend said everything else looked good I brushed on my first Butyrate coat. I will never use a brush on dope again other than to attach and stretch the silk. I had so many wrinkles on the wing, top and bottom I almost cut the silk off and reapplied it. I think it is because when you brush it on you get all different thicknesses of the dope applied. I thought that the spay gun would apply a even coat and it would all shrink tight, it did.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7264.JPG
Views:	68
Size:	148.3 KB
ID:	2174948   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7265.JPG
Views:	65
Size:	157.0 KB
ID:	2174949   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7268.JPG
Views:	61
Size:	170.7 KB