RCU Forums - View Single Post - Who here built a Heathkit R/C radio?
View Single Post
Old 07-31-2016, 05:37 AM
lflf
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had one of those back around 1965 that my neighbor built, and sold me for $5 since I was an interested 14 year old kid, and he'd bought newer stuff. 26.995 was the channel and it was super regen. It was a big metal box , maybe 4 inches wide, 3 inches deep, and 9 inches high. It had a red crinkled finish. It only had an on-off switch and one push button, took an enormous battery, and the receiver was equally large compared to today's receivers. It was a single channel outfit. I had it in a Goldberg Skylane 42 along with a Bonner escapement and an .049 engine. It was seemed very unreliable, every other flight was a fly away. I do not know if it was the fault of the electronics, or the fact that I was a beginner and had a lot of trouble pushing the button quickly enough to make the plane turn properly. Pushing the button at the right speed was very critical to get it to turn the way you wanted, if you were too slow you got another right turn instead of the left you were trying to get. That old equipment was a real challenge to use, I sure appreciate the modern stuff.