RCU Forums - View Single Post - Another Drone Pilot does it Again
View Single Post
Old 08-02-2016, 08:59 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ain't ya all glad U ain.t flyin fer profit.

If you have a 333 with a blanket COA, you have to report your monthly activity even if you did NOT fly. Yes, I know this stinks because I myself have a 333 and have to report each month. The FAA's COA website says, "The Monthly Operational report is expected to be submitted within 5 business days after end of the reporting month."

Thankfully, these requirements are not in Part 107 going forward. However, there are NTSB and FAA reporting requirements if your drone happens to crash. Better to read and know them BEFORE you crash so you are not fumbling around if the situation happens. Expect another article on this to come out very soon.
Do we have a continuing obligation to report once we all switch over to Part 107 and stop using our 333s? Strictly speaking, yes, because the 333 and COA are still valid and the COA requires you to report even when you do not fly. I would continue to do it until the FAA tells you to stop or until the exemption expires 2 years after the grant date. You can find your expiration date by looking at the last page of your exemption.
Filing reports shouldn't be much trouble if you set up an alert in your schedule or digital calendar to remind you at the end of each month.
SHARE! You should let your friends know about their monthly reporting requirements. Simply click one of the social media or email buttons located above or below to share with your friends.
Make sure to sign up for the free drone law newsletter to stay up-to-date on the latest happenings in drone law.
[h=2]Reporting Requirements from the Blanket COA[/h]1. Documentation of all operations associated with UAS activities is required regardless of the airspace in which the UAS operates. NOTE: Negative (zero flights) reports are required.
2. The operator must submit the following information through mailto: [email protected] on a monthly basis:

a. Name of Operator, Exemption number and Aircraft registration number
b. UAS type and model.
c. All operating locations, to include location city/name and latitude/longitude
d. Number of flights (per location, per aircraft)
e. Total aircraft operational hours
f. Takeoff or Landing damage
g. Equipment malfunctions. Reportable malfunctions include, but are not limited to the following:

(1) On-board flight control system
(2) Navigation system
(3) Powerplant failure in flight
(4) Fuel system failure
(5) Electrical system failure
(6) Control station failure

3. The number and duration of lost link events (control, performance and health monitoring, or communications) per UA per flight.