RCU Forums - View Single Post - Where to put a work shop/work area?
View Single Post
Old 08-04-2016, 05:39 AM
em14

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My Dream Shop

You got some good advice from ET pilot. Just a few years ago I set out to build my dream shop! Then I discovered the County Planning and Code Office! So paid them a visit and after talking with them left shaking my head! Now enter a new Hurricane Building Code and what had started as a semi-pole barn became concrete and steel structure with a substantial increase in building cost! Cost was increased by one 1/3! It is now the strongest building in the neighborhood. It is big, 45' x 60' in the shop area, 20' x 30' in the open but covered area and 12' x30' in the storage, restroom, office and utility room. With the foresight of my contractor, it is insulated, but, due to my shortsightedness, the shop is not heated or air conditioned. Cold in the short winter and hot in the long summer! It has 100 amp panel and is metered separate from the house. Has hot and cold water in restroom. Would I do it again YES, but I would cool the shop and add infra red for model areas. So Mike, I was in the same place as you are now but I knew I did not want the shop in the garage. I also knew this was my only chance to follow my dream!
Leo

Last edited by em14; 08-04-2016 at 05:46 AM. Reason: a couple opps