RCU Forums - View Single Post - is nitro on its way out?
View Single Post
Old 08-06-2016, 01:54 PM
J330
My Feedback: (3)

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

I am not a club member and never have since I started in 1972. I've saved a lot of dues and AMA fees over that span in the hobby that could easily pay for a year in the hobby, maybe five years?

I took a break from the hobby so replaced my batteries and out of old bad habits, stocked up on some kits and glow engines. Boy did they drop in price. I filled my flight box with a $50 tower order. Seems the menu got a lot shorter from tower, but so what? Its still free shipping and 3 days to FL.

I went to Craigslist and posted an ad for glow fuel,
figuring a partial gallon is better than $25 for a full gallon at the LHS. I found a 4 gallon case for $101.99 after hazmat, I'll cross that road later but I scrounged up 6 gallons from my ad so I'm good for a few months anyway. I doubt I'll get .60-.90 size like I used to, but .25 and .40, sure. I'll readjust and keep on going.

Midwest Dope is still around! Tissue paper, in more colors than ever. CA glue, wow is that a change from the Titebond I used decades ago. I still have 20 rolls of monokote and larger SIG kits to build, time to move the car out of the garage and upgrade our dining room table! Sanded ply was higher than I expected 4X8 sheet was $50? Going to a Goodwill store and buy a flat door instead for $5.
My goal is to get him into combat with me.

We're the last of the glow powered pilots out there, the rest fly at some school with EP. Love the space!
I can't stand the sound of electrics, or the wind flying a foam plane around randomly and call that fun. As long as there are kits on the forum, glue, and fresh batteries, I'll be doing glow. I found a box with dozens of glow plugs and servos I saved, two less things to worry about.