RCU Forums - View Single Post - old timers look here must be 50+ years only
Old 08-15-2016, 08:45 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 146 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
That would depend on your email program in most cases you should be able to click "Download All" inside the email and be prompted to select a spot or have them go directly to Downloads if you are using an IBM Compatible machine.

Good news to my fellow members of the over the hill gang...er... over 50 crowd. After all the news reports about how impossible it is for the 50+ old workers to find fulltime work; this 58 year old got a job offer after 4 months of looking. God looks after little children, fools, and not overly bright R/C builders! I start on 8/22 for a small SDVOSB (Service-Disabled Veteran-Owned Small Business for our members across the big pond) supporting a new project for the Veterans Administration. As some of you know one of my 4 sons is a Disabled American Veteran so their issues are close to my heart. I guess I'll be able to eat and support my R/C addiction a little long now. ;-) The only downside is a lack of building time but looking for work was swallowing that up that time any way.
Thanks for the advice Flyer and well done on getting that job. I was made redundant from my job as a careers adviser working with disabled adults when I was 58, so I know how difficult it is, both professionally and personally, for older workers to find a job. I managed to get a few short-term positions in career guidance but they were not really very satisfactory but I got other bits and pieces, driving people's Jaguars, painting the outside of a shop in February, even working part-time as a check-out operator in a supermarket to make ends meet until I reached retirement age.

At the age of 68 I'm not interested in working for money anymore. I helped a lady move a flock of sheep the other day which only proved how unfit I've become! They were a Dutch breed, black with white stripes down the nose, much larger than most sheep and as strong as oxen!

I grow a fair bit of my own food. Anyone want a lettuce? I'm fortunate in having a good state and vocational pension which has reduced a fair bit since the Brexit! But then again, I've never really been that motivated by money. It doesn't buy happiness. My motorcycle is seventeen years old, my van is eighteen years old, my bicycle is a British Raleigh made in 1978 and my Rover P6 is 42 years old, but they all get me about.