RCU Forums - View Single Post - AMA Insider calls for CHANGE. VP running for President supports TRADITIONAL MODELLERS
Old 08-16-2016, 08:33 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rcmiket
Now all you have to do is convince the MR crowd to join the AMA. The AMA has reached out to them have they not? One of the candidates in this election says it ain't happening. Is he lying?
Mike
Remember when you pulled this quote out from Tougas's webpage?

Interesting, this is from Tougas's FB page (a re post from Tim J. I'm posting it due to the fact that I along with others have been saying just this since we ( the AMA) started chasing the "droners" thinking we would get a influx of new members. According to him it ain't happening.
Now is it fact or just BS to get the "traditional modeler" vote?

"Since an MRM pilot doesn’t need flight instruction and they can be flown from a small area there is no incentive to join a local club or the AMA. This is reflected in our membership numbers. Less than 10% of our members list MRM or First Person View (FPV) as their interest. Most of the current MRM and FPV pilots that are AMA members are traditional modelers who have expanded into these areas not new recruits to our fold. So if we are not seeing a large increase in membership in these areas then why is the AMA chasing people who have clearly spoken that the AMA is not for them? Like most important questions it’s a complex issue. The original decision to market to MRM and FPV modelers was made with the best intentions. The thought was the AMA would have a new stream of members to fund all of our membership programs such as flying site assistance grants, education scholarships, political outreach, etc. Now we have a much better understanding of the market and it shows that it is time to reassess our plan. Elect me and I will conduct a review of our plan and work with the Executive Council to make the needed changes."

Mike

So we know we have about 900 new members from the Best Buy Program, and Tougas himself is confirming that under 10% (not totally helpful there, 1% is less than 10, so is 9.9) are MR/Drone focused. So, lets do the math again. 180k members. 10% of that...18,000...lets knock of 3k just to be nice...and level off at 15,000 people.

So ya, I think when you talk about someone lying about there being no members associated with MR....someone is probably lying (or completely ignorant of fact). Good point to have brought up.