RCU Forums - View Single Post - Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz
View Single Post
Old 08-17-2016, 02:36 PM
Ernie P.
My Feedback: (3)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by SimonCraig1
Well that didn't last long.... John Niel Randle and Leslie Thomas Manser they are! Well done Ernie!

Manser had the dubious pleasure of flying the AVRO Manchester very few Manchester crew survived to see the introduction of the Lancaster. I read a book by John Bushby called 'Gunner's Moon' which I heartily recommend. In which he attributes his survival to being sick and sufficiently delayed on the gunnery course to have to repeat it thereby only fly a few combat missions in the Manchester, his observation was that none of the aircrew in the earlier course survived.
The connection between the two sets of clues was the BE2c, which got me thinking about a Manchester clue and of course in looking that up discovered the fate of the two brothers.

If you are interested the other clues were...

In a roundabout way my last set of questions lead me to this and I think it is sufficiently interesting to bring to the forum. So I’m looking two warriors who were selfless in the days when it seemed commonplace:
  1. Both warriors were born in India.
  2. They were brother in law.
  3. One went into the army, the other into the airforce.
  4. The army bod was best friends at college with another hero who achieved his reputation in the airforce.
  5. The army bod died in the latter stages of a campaign, he is reported to have saved the lives of many of his troops.
  6. The pilot lost his life flying on a notable air raid, but his crew survived.
  7. Part of the reason he did not survive was that he was flying a plane that had not more right to be in combat as the BE2 a war earlier, but was used for the same reasons.
  8. The army campaign included the ‘Battle of the Tennis Court’ though the warrior's contribution was later than that last man stand.
  9. Both received the Victoria Cross posthumously.

I did figure it might get to #6 or 7 but am delighted that Ernie saw the answer so quickly! And it's over to Ernie!

Give me a few hours to put something together, SimonCraig1. I have a few questions in my bag, but I'm in the mood for something unusual. Maybe I can find something worth doing. Thanks; Ernie P.