RCU Forums - View Single Post - P-Effect
Thread: P-Effect
View Single Post
Old 08-25-2016, 02:44 PM
drac1
My Feedback: (4)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by OhD
Yes, it was the line ' what we have here is a failure to communicate '.

Scott, If there is such a thing as P-factor and it causes the plane to veer to the left (the airplanes left) when you pull to vertical, and it veers to the left (the airplanes right) when you push from inverted to vertical what do you do to trim it so it goes straight in both cases, and if you can't achieve that, what rudder input will you use to correct it?

I'm sure some planes are worse than others and maybe it can't be detected on some. Gyroscopic precession and perhaps the thrust line settings could magically cancel out the P-effect but it would seem to me to be a case of luck.

Jim O
Scott, If there is such a thing as P-factor and it causes the plane to veer to the left (the airplanes left) when you pull to vertical, and it veers to the left (the airplanes right) when you push from inverted to vertical what do you do to trim it so it goes straight in both cases, and if you can't achieve that, what rudder input will you use to correct it?

P-factor, also known as asymmetric blade effect and asymmetric disc effect, is an aerodynamic phenomenon experienced by a moving propeller, that is responsible for the asymmetrical relocation of the propeller's center of thrust when an aircraft is at a high angle of attack.

P-factor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/P-factor

If the plane is veering the same direction, (relative to you), whether inverted or upright, then the wings aren't level to start with. It sounds like you may be flying with the inside wing down.

I'm sure some planes are worse than others and maybe it can't be detected on some. Gyroscopic precession and perhaps the thrust line settings could magically cancel out the P-effect but it would seem to me to be a case of luck.

No magic or luck involved. It's called trimming and flying with the wings level.

Last edited by drac1; 08-25-2016 at 02:47 PM.