RCU Forums - View Single Post - Sim to real life transitioning
View Single Post
Old 08-27-2016, 07:02 PM
Johnnysplits

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by exfed
First of all, I learned to fly before simulators were available, so I can't answer your question completely. But, I've taught a lot of guys to fly and I do have some thoughts regarding your question.

One of the greatest challenges facing a newbie is proper turn commands when the model is coming toward you. As you have noticed, the inputs seem to be reversed from those when the model is flying away from you. It's in this arena that I feel flight simulators are extremely valuable. I would recommend you spend a lot of time flying the model toward you and then beyond as you would in a low approach and go-around. When you are comfortable doing approaches and go-arounds it would be time to learn about the next most important learning tool we have, the buddy box. Get yourself a good instructor, set up the buddy box, and have yourself a ball!
Thank you sir! I have the control "reversing" down. I've been in into playing with and racing r/c cars and boats since the late 70's, so I have that mentality of operating as if you were in the seat. I've been concentrating on trying to get perfect approaches and landings. I find take offs in varying wind conditions to be second nature now. I just find landings to be fascinating. And with that, I'm trying my best to get them down like a real plane landing. I watch a lot of videos and see many people pumping the elevator and bouncing the plane upon landing...not cool.