RCU Forums - View Single Post - Another Drone Pilot does it Again
View Single Post
Old 08-28-2016, 01:00 PM
franklin_m

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by porcia83
You quit a club noting the economics of it all, ie the $100.00 that you pay for the membership, but then go back to the same club 6 times to check on it. It's your time I guess, but I'd spend it differently. For instance, I went to 3 clubs today. Started at 7:30 and worked on getting this up in the air on it's maiden flight.

4 hours later, and lots of troubleshooting and electrical issues sorted, it went up and down twice, a fantastic plane to fly.

Packed up and headed to my home club, but stopped in along the way to smaller one with about 38 members. 3 were flying, said hello and chatted with them a bit. Incidentally, this club received a small grant from the AMA this year to help recover from significant damage to the grounds from a grub/Japanese beetle infestation. One form sent in with some pictures, and within 5 days, it was approved and a check on the way.

Next up, final stop at my home club. It's warm out today, low 90's, so only about 10 people flying fixed wing, an equal amount just talking. About 15 members and a few guests at the heli/quad track. Sponsored heli pilot and member Darrick Chekas was there holding court, amazing heli pilot, fixed wing as well, and recently migrated to quads.

Not a single complaint from any member or pilot in any club today about 2014 tax results, membership dues, AMA versus FAA , or traditional versus non traditional whatever. In other words, it was the samo samo, just a bunch of guys enjoying the hobby. Actually, some complained about being on a waiting list to join our club. we've gone from 125 to 214. First world problems, amiright? We have several clubs in the state hovering in the 200 member range. Some smaller of course, many in the 70-100 range. Yes, clubs with 25 members can survive just as those with 200, within a few miles of each other can.

Sorry to hear about your old club and/or whatever the conditions there that caused you to leave. Looks like somethings going on there and elsewhere in that area. Don't like it?, might I suggest redoubling your efforts as a member rather than quitting? Granted, I don't know the full extent of the issues, but with 6 visits back you're either missing it terribly, or perhaps hoping to confirming what an utter failure the club is when nobody is flying?

When I joined my home club, the first club I had ever joined as a new AMA member I started volunteering for stuff immediately. Coffee at meetings, parking at events, cooking, selling tickets, and eventually the monthly meeting notes/e-mail to members. 3 years in the "traditional" members played some games at a meeting after starting rumors about those "helis" and how they shouldn't be in the club. You know, they aren't traditional aircraft, etc etc. They got kicked out, and it caused a serious rift in the membership. I put together a team with 4 folks and decided to run for president. I'm not a heli fan, but I hated what was done and felt they should be part of the club. I promised the heli folks if they sat tight for a year and relax, we would get them back in, and two years later we did. Just took time, and building some bridges with the other folks and finding a way to make work. Moral of the story.....make it the club you want it to be. Given your technical background and your leadership skills, this isn't an insurmountable task.

Off to start preparing for our Giant Scale event next weekend. Hopefully the weather cooperates and we have a great turn out.
It's great that you have that kind of time. I don't. If that makes me a casual member, so what? You went to three flying clubs. I spent an hour and got in six flights at the park first thing in the morning, then went to the range to sight in two rifles before deer season, went to a baseball practice with my son, and took my daughter for some school supplies. Not looking for any sympathy, just pointing out that not everyone has the time to do all this volunteering you keep trying to push on me. I guess I'm of less interest to AMA since I can't devote that kind of time.

My point is this. If having successful club fields takes sizeable numbers of folks like you, ones who devote considerable time, can the whole club field model survive? Without quality facilities close to where people reside, work, and live the rest of their lives (schools, sports, etc.), are there enough members who are willing to drive an hour or more just to fly? I honestly don't think so.

What made McDonalds successful? It's not the great food. It's the consistency. The "user experience" is the same whether you stop at a store in Virginia, or California, or in one city, or the next. Contrast that with AMA club fields. I think there's a large variation in the "user experience" and that could prove to be a weakness in the business model. Quite simply, w/o quality clubs close, why should people join?

I wish I lived close to a vibrant club like yours. Within the limits of my work schedule and other commitments, I'd probably even volunteer. But I don't. I only have so much time to devote to the hobby, which means that there's a limit to how far I'm willing to drive. That probably makes me less of a member in your eyes. But the reality is there's a lot of folks like me. Folks who don't have the luxury or desire to devote entire days to flying most weekends. If AMA's model depends on folks like you, does it not run the risk of collapsing (figuratively) to select pockets around the country? These pockets being Goldilocks zones if you will, where there's just the right amount of members, of the right demographic with time to devote, and not too much urban encroachment?

Last edited by franklin_m; 08-28-2016 at 02:07 PM.