RCU Forums - View Single Post - Another Drone Pilot does it Again
View Single Post
Old 08-28-2016, 02:40 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by franklin_m
Yes, it was the same club. I thought I'd go out and see if there's been any change in the factors that caused me to end my membership. The AMA site lists 38 members, but have yet to see one out flying on Saturdays over several weekends.

You mention another club. That's also where we get into that concept of access that we've talked about. Using myself as an example, there's a certain group of folks out there who enjoy the hobby, but don't enjoy it enough to spend the better part of an hour (or more) driving just to get to the field. Is that wrong? Of course not. How many folks would join the hobby if there was a club closer? Is that a demographic that AMA needs to grow the hobby? I think so. And there it is, back to the issue of access close to where the members (or potential members) live.

The next three closest clubs are 43, 65, and 76 minutes away. Maybe some don't mind driving that far, but some do. I do. I'm balancing my hobby flying with three kids and their events. I'm also engaged in other hobbies, and some athletics. So there isn't the time to make trips of that length for one purpose. So not everyone is as dedicated, but can AMA survive only on the members that devote that much time to flying?

What about the folks that don't want to drive that far? If we're lucky, the AMA will capture those folks as park fliers. Others, like me, will move to flying things that don't require a club field. No club field requirement, no club membership required, and hence the 15 year declining trend in club membership that Dave Scott talked about.

You mention two clubs, with a lot of active members. I mention a club with very few members, and other clubs quite a distance away. Can AMA survive when there's such a difference between the AMA experience? When there's such a difference between the have's and have nots? I think it makes it tough.

BTW, total reported membership among all three other clubs I mentioned: 89
I belong to 3 clubs here in SE Wisconsin and 2 in AZ possibly 3 this next winter. Tow of the clubs here in WI. I don't fly at more than ounce or twice a year, Dues are $20/yr and$135/year and the share was $1200 25 years ago. The club I go to every morning that is flyable is just 5 miles from my house has 75 members and it the same 5 or 6 durning the week and maybe 12 to 15 on a week end. Some times none other than us regulars. Hope these NO SHOWS just keep paying their dues... The $137/year club is 18 miles and 75 members and they have tha same thing lack of membership participation ... But they pay up so who cares. The club in AZ has 250 to 300 members and it's the same 20 to 25 that fly. Some on Tuesdays and Thursdays or Monday or what ever. I go every day just to G.S. with whom is there... To me 90% of belonging to any club is the comradery so I don't care what it cost's me. The cost is irrelevant, If I had to worry about a couple of hindered extra dollars a year I sure as he[[ wouldn't be in this hobby. I've only had two hobby's more expensive than R/C ... Full Scale and Drinking and both were done seperatily and before I started in R/CC. Again this hobby is about the people not necessary to save money.