RCU Forums - View Single Post - Another Drone Pilot does it Again
View Single Post
Old 08-28-2016, 03:38 PM
franklin_m

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HoundDog
I belong to 3 clubs here in SE Wisconsin and 2 in AZ possibly 3 this next winter. Tow of the clubs here in WI. I don't fly at more than ounce or twice a year, Dues are $20/yr and$135/year and the share was $1200 25 years ago. The club I go to every morning that is flyable is just 5 miles from my house has 75 members and it the same 5 or 6 durning the week and maybe 12 to 15 on a week end. Some times none other than us regulars. Hope these NO SHOWS just keep paying their dues... The $137/year club is 18 miles and 75 members and they have tha same thing lack of membership participation ... But they pay up so who cares. The club in AZ has 250 to 300 members and it's the same 20 to 25 that fly. Some on Tuesdays and Thursdays or Monday or what ever. I go every day just to G.S. with whom is there... To me 90% of belonging to any club is the comradery so I don't care what it cost's me. The cost is irrelevant, If I had to worry about a couple of hindered extra dollars a year I sure as he[[ wouldn't be in this hobby. I've only had two hobby's more expensive than R/C ... Full Scale and Drinking and both were done seperatily and before I started in R/CC. Again this hobby is about the people not necessary to save money.
I don't begrudge folks that have the time and money to support a variety of clubs. I know that with my kids' sports schedules, my work, and mix in a few other hobbies, I didn't get to the club less than 15 miles away let alone those 40 or 50 or more.

I'm just asking if the club field based business model will remain viable.