RCU Forums - View Single Post - Another Drone Pilot does it Again
View Single Post
Old 08-29-2016, 05:03 PM
franklin_m

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by porcia83
Somehow I knew what I chose to do with my own time would be weaponized, just as it was when the whole Leader Member issue came up with you and the others. This constant feeling of not being worthy, or less valued, not breathing the same air as others, not being a leader member etc etc is a symptom of something (i'm thinking projection)but it sure isn't coming from me, that's all on you. Or better yet look to some of the 'traditional" folks who build giant scale and $15,000 turnbines who look down upon the foamy and arf masses. I've never said a single thing about anyone being better than anyone else, so please spare me the insinuation I've said that. I've never used any of those positions/accomplishments or others to say I'm better than anyone else, just noted that I've put my money where my mouth is, and then some, and gotten involved. As I said previously, it's a personal choice. I realize people don't have the time or ability in some instances to do it, I've never even hinted that this is something to look down at anyone else over. We all do what we want, with who we want. It's great to that ability to do so.
I do take many of your comments as looking down the nose at people who aren't part of the ruling class of Leader Members, Club Officers, AVPs, or EC folks. I lost count of how many times recommendations from me or others was met with some call to get involved, volunteer, become a LM, etc. Why keep pushing that unless the views of those who aren't part of the nobility carry less weight.

And yes, the hobby is not well served by the example you cited above. Have seen it in action, and perhaps it's fitting that they appear to have an operating discipline problem. I honestly could help with that, it's what I do professionally, but I doubt I could get past the culture of invincibility that I think is the root of the problem (my opinion). Hey, what could I possibly know about changing an aviation safety culture? After all, I'm not a turbine waiver holder.

So yes, it does come off that way. You may not mean it that way, but that's how it comes across to me (and perhaps others). Maybe that explains why some of us are down on the AMA? Maybe the "you're not a waiver holder" crap is another? Maybe the comments about "you only fly little planes" might explain it some more.

You've never shied away from criticizing my tone. But then again, perhaps that's appropriate, as I and others are just the "unwashed masses" of not Leader Members, not club officers, not AVPs, and certainly not in the rarefied air of VPs.