RCU Forums - View Single Post - Sim to real life transitioning
View Single Post
Old 08-31-2016, 08:00 AM
philakapd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used the simulator for several months and then had a buddy box for my first day. My plane was a .46 trainer. Big is GOOD!

An E-Flite Apprentice is a good choice.

For me, the noticeable differences between Sim and actual flying:

1. There isn't a reset button; don't be surprised if your hands are a little shaky.

2. Unless you're at a very large flying field, you will quickly cover ground faster than you practiced in the simulator; more frequent turning.

3. As previously mentioned; WIND/Air Movement/Thermal.

4. Mechanical failures are REAL. Double check all fittings and test your equipment. Watch for binding at control surfaces.

5. Servos: Slop/Play, control surface movement, control horn/rod placement.

6. Vision; you CAN safely look away from the computer monitor while flying if you're distracted....this is NOT something you can do while flying R/C. If there's a bee flying around you, get your spotter to help out. Keep your eyes on the aircraft at all times.

7. Watch your fingers; a simulator won't remove skin but a real propeller will.

8. Senses; the human body is a complex machine, more so than your simulator. I'm envious of you for what is coming. The sights, sounds, smells....all new to you!

9. You WILL have a bigger smile flying real R/C compared to your simulator

Good Luck and Clear Skies. Let the community know if you need anything and feel free to share your experiences!

-PD