RCU Forums - View Single Post - New Hangar 9 P-51 60cc
View Single Post
Old 09-01-2016, 08:29 AM
sjhanc
My Feedback: (3)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This shot shows the comparatively clean engine installation of this particular model, (my second build of this plane). The gear doors can be seen to be pulled open by high speed air flow. This set of doors do not fit the wheel wells tightly as the first plane's did, they are warped in the wrong direction so they protrude down into the airflow even when the plane is on the ground. The door servo linkage is over-center when the doors are closed so there is no current draw on the receiver battery when airflow pulls them further down and my door servos act on the door's leading edges rather than the trailing edge (as the manual shows). To accomplish this I moved the servos to the empty space in the wheel well right behind the wing leading edge. This allows the fuel tank to be installed rearward at the CG. The rear tank installation really helps the full-fuel CG and there is no pitch change with speed changes. I am considering reinforcing the doors and correcting their incorrect shape to force them to lay flush with the lower wing surface.

My first plane's doors laid flat and did not get sucked down by high speed airflow even though they were not reinforced. I did try heating this set and bending them in the right direction but the first exposure to the hot sun caused them to return to their original shape. If they were fiber glass construction heating and bending would be permanent.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1280.jpg
Views:	2609
Size:	1.13 MB
ID:	2179205