RCU Forums - View Single Post - Biggest mistake in scale modeling :(
View Single Post
Old 09-01-2016, 02:36 PM
allanflowers

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Biggest mistake in scale modeling :(

As I struggle for the last several week trying to reassemble and re-rig my 1/6th scale CD ScaleDesigns Sopwith Pup, as part of its reconstruction after its last bad flight about 5 years back... I ask myself "what is the biggest screw up" I have ever made in scale modeling.
There is NO DOUBT, the selection of the wrong hardware for the model - in this case I made extensive use of these tiny (#80) buttonhead machine screws. E V I L things for sure.
At the time, the best source for dinky screws was micro-fasteners, and in this size the buttonhead was all they had. These look great but, after a while, you CANNOT take them apart... the little hex allen head tool spins uselessly in the fastener and one has to find a really precise needlenose pliers to try to bully the stupid thing out.
This is accompanied by much begging/swearing/prayers even.
Now I have found that McMaster-Carr has socket head 80-1/8" stainless machine bolts. The socket head has a much bigger hex driver at this size and, in the worst case, you actually can get a pair of pliers onto the thing if you need to.
I can not be alone but I suspect that there are many other massive screw ups in scale modeling, that I have only approached...

Last edited by allanflowers; 09-01-2016 at 02:39 PM.