RCU Forums - View Single Post - Demon cortex questions
View Single Post
Old 09-04-2016, 09:27 AM
turnnburn
My Feedback: (49)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Demon cortex questions

Just got home from making the first two flights with a Cortex gyro installed in my Tam F-18. For the first flight I had cut back the expo on ail and elevator by approx half as instructed in you tube videos I had seen regarding the cortex install and setup. I had the gyro on a three position switch and had the gain set fairly low (20% with solid green light and about 28% with steady amber light). I took off with gyro turned off, flew around got airplane in trim and flying good. I then turned the gyro on to the steady green light position and flew a few circuts at a safe altitude. My aileron and elevator were quite desensitized. I found myself using much more stick travel than I am accustomed to and I felt like the gyro was fighting me some what. To keep the plane banked I had to hold constant stick deflection and the same with pitch. After 3 or 4 laps of the field I decided I needed less gain and less expo because I did not care for the feel as currently set up. I turned the gyro back to off and flew the rest of the flight with gyro off.

I made the next flight with expo turned down even more ( almost none) and turned the gain down to 12% green light and 18 % amber light. Flew it this way and it was better but still flighting me ( or maybe I was fighting it) . Again after a couple laps I turned it off and liked the way the plane flies better with out the gyro turned on. I did not turn the gyro on to the amber light position for either flight.

On the drive home I got to wondering if I was flying in the correct ( best or proper) gyro mode. I was of the impression that the steady green light on position with the lower gain was the mode to use for a jet. Clearly I dont have a very good grasp of the differences of these two modes.

I everybody who uses the Cortex gyro loves it, but I did not and it makes me think I am doing something wrong.

Can some one explain the mode differences and which one I should be using and why.

Thanks