RCU Forums - View Single Post - New to me 2 M plane
View Single Post
Old 09-07-2016, 09:12 AM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

Ken congratulations on your new purchase. I had gotten my last two headers off eBay as they were flex headers that were only about 45.00. I looked but they no longer seem to be listed but may be worth checking every couple of days. There may be somone here that will step up with a spare.

You had asked about my experiences on the 140 DZ on RCG but I am going to relate my experiences here so that others can add their findings as well.

With both my YS 4 strokes I use only OS F plugs and I run them on 30% nitro 21% synthetic oil. Fuel packaged for heli use using a lower viscosity oil has worked the best. The 140 leaves a very good smoke trail do not mistake this for running rich. Listen to the engine to tune and just know it leaves a good smoke trail. Also highly reccomended is the YS in tank filter clunk.

Now the fun stuff. Start out with the regulator screw flush with the housing. If the engine was set up well from the previous owner and you intend to not take anything apart then leave his setting and go from there. The more in the screw is adjusted the more fuel pressure the carb gets. Mine has to be adjusted about .5 mm in. I'm not sure if this charictaristic is for all DZ 140 engines or just mine but by adjusting the pump pressure up I had issues with the line that runs from the pump to the carb. First the line would pop off, then once secured to the fitting the line would split. I eventually found an eBay source for nylon high pressure 2.7mm ID tube and have had no issues since. The reason for having to adjust the pressure on my particular engine was that I had a lean spot at just below 1/4 throttle that could only be fixed by increasing pump pressure. The high speed needle seems to affect only full throttle. Start at 2.5 turns out and transition to full throttle slowly. Any sign of detonation during transition bring back to idle, shut down and increase pump pressure. Once a smooth transition is accomplished once you get to full throttle and the high speed needle takes over at 2.5 turns out you will undoubtedly hear a drop off in RPM. Lean the high speed needle just to the point where no drop off is noticed.

starting process. After each outting I run my engines dry. This burns off the nitro and methanol but leaves enough oil behind to protect. The pump and lines will be dry. I go to full throttle without glow and turn the engine over by hand 10-15 times to get the pump wet and to get fuel into the high pressure line. Bring to idle hook up glow and it usually only takes a bump with the starter. All runs after that I hand flip the prop 3 times and then bump with the starter. Once running let it run at high idle for 10-15 seconds to make sure all air in the lines has been purged. I'm adding a couple pictures. The one of the engine shows the high pressure line that is the clear tube and not the pink. The in flight picture shows the smoke trail common with this engine. Feel free to ask questions, if I don't have an answer I have Verano's cell number and use it frequently. If anyone else has tidbits to add please feel free to do so.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	187
Size:	876.4 KB
ID:	2180101   Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	209
Size:	1.87 MB
ID:	2180102  

Last edited by speedracerntrixie; 09-07-2016 at 09:20 AM.