RCU Forums - View Single Post - More news from the AMA, boy are they busy!
Old 09-09-2016, 03:37 PM
franklin_m

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by porcia83
Ya, that other org similar to ours in size and scope and gravitas (NRA) also bellows out blustery rhetoric about all of our god given rights to guns guns guns being taken away illegally, odd that they just can't force the govt to do what they want. They all puff their chest and make noise but behind the scenes concede, make deals, and are smart enough to realize they don't have all the power in the world. If they didn't posture for their membership, they would have to hear about how wimpy they were, and how ineffective they were, despite being involved in a process. Kinda like damned if they do, damned if they don't. But yes, it's not unexpected that you doubt their being involved will make a difference. Chances are if they weren't involved, we'd hear about that as a shortcoming on their behalf as well. Better watch that comment about the federal registry though...might find yourself at the other end of a boastful attention seeking me me me accusation there! It's been known to happen! I'm getting the sense that even if you have tons of experience, and we need to trust those that say that they do, it's best not to really talk about it. Keep it on the DL. First rule of RC experience.....you don't talk about RC experience!
This isn't about the NRA, which is vastly different in size, dollars, members, and thus influence.

It is about a rather small and narrow interest group of folks who are, like it not, bit players in the national airspace system. Not in pure numbers mind you, but rather in perceived importance.

Who do you think will carry more influence in the deliberations?
Part 121 stakeholders or AMA?
Part 135 or AMA?
Intel, UPS, Amazon or AMA?
Stanford & MIT or AMA?
Manned aircraft stakeholders or AMA?
Commercial drone stakeholders or AMA?
etc.?

I struggle to look down the list and see anyone that that would have less influence than the AMA given the makeup of the committee and the task assigned to them. So yes, they're at the table. And as I said, that's better than nothing. Despite the AMA's inflated rhetoric, I remain unconvinced that they're anything more than bit players - at best. Looking down that list, what I see is the FAA covering their bases so they can say "we involved them."

For proof, one has to look no further than the Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) Registration Task Force (RTF) Aviation Rulemaking Committee. If you recall the makeup was very similar, and we all know how well that worked out.