RCU Forums - View Single Post - Lou Andrews aeromaster bipe ..Any info ??
Old 09-13-2016, 07:13 AM
J330
My Feedback: (3)

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

Bob K., flew with Lou Andrews back in the day, having seen him test fly at the field some of the Ray's and Masters. Must have been a treat to be there. You don't see balsawood like this on modern kits. The selection of grain (density) seems to have been very well thought out, or I'd like to think so.

Bob's covering work is exceptionally better than my own ability, and he had everything 1972 on this X Ray, the Kraft wheels, the Kraft radio, Kraft servos, HP 40 engine. I couldn't think of putting it in the air with Kraft FM/servos and although the receiver and internals were updated to a modern Hitec 6 channel FM, I don't want anything to shoot this down. Thankfully he didn't use a 1972 Nicad! So electronics are being replaced now. This gets 2.4 Ghz, tested first in a throw away ARF for a few flights first. I have anxiety taking this to the field for the first maiden flight.

Bob collected 10 different Aamco kits, A Ray, S Ray, H Ray, Big H, X Ray (2), QuikRay 500, miniMaster, TrainerMaster, SportMaster, and the first AeroMaster. He said finding the X Ray and the Big H were the hardest to come by. The gentleman that sold him the X Ray at auction offered him a second X Ray in a message and he took the 2 kit deal justifying the build of the one above. Although this thin X Ray wing looks like it can cut through the air like a knife, I'm partial to low wing planes, so the Ray's weren't part of my plan to keep. I'm looking forward to the TrainerMaster, going to build that one this winter hopefully. I've followed PD1's posts on two forums now for awhile. Glad to see a few people know how nice these kits are.