RCU Forums - View Single Post - Are we as hobbyist UAS users in the clear for now? can we jump for joy? or to soon?
Old 09-15-2016, 12:25 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NorfolkSouthern
That is the whole issue. No, the FAA doesn't require actual CBO membership. But on the other hand, the AMA can deny participation in the CBO to non-members. Thus, those non-members, since they would not be participating in the CBO, would be outside of Part 101 and would have no other option than to acquire a Part 107 license. That's what I gather from the FAA.

So.. If the AMA doesn't consider a non-member as a CBO participant, and and that person can't get vetted by the TSA for some reason, or can't pass the Part 107 test, or make it to the facility to take the test for that matter, then it appears the best option may be control-line flying.
Don't forget free flight.

The AMA has every right to exclude someone from being a member if they won't pay dues. It can't stop anyone from operating by the AMA's rules though. I don't know why not being part of the AMA or a CBO would cause any issues being vetted by the TSA. The same for passing a test, that's on them to study for. The AMA shouldn't be held responsible for someone not paying to be a member, not studying for a test, or being close a location to take a test.

Non AMA folks who enjoy the hobby shouldn't have anything to worry about if they aren't doing anything wrong, or operating unsafely. Most likely they will continue to fly just as they have before, and will have no issues.