RCU Forums - View Single Post - ~~SIG Brotherhood ~~
View Single Post
Old 09-16-2016, 01:56 PM
RICKSTUBBZ

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
............. For that matter you see changes in humidity affect the wood and plans in a kit, how many times have you seen a recommendation to give a new kit time to adapter to area where you build before starting? SIG would warn you paper plans can be affected in their kit manuals and I'm sure others did as well.

FI OKC--- you just hit the head of the nail with that one!
With out a doubt the wood of an air frame will move much more than the control rods. Albeit humidity and not temp. But as we know with temp changes there are almost always humidity changes.

A few years back, I toted several of my planes from the south east Texas area up and out to Las Vegas. When I left Texas all of the covering on those planes was tight! When I pulled them out of the "crossover" in Vegas i was all but embarrassed for my friends to see the things. They were more more saggy than grandma's chin.... Now while in Vegas, I was too lazy to drag out the iron and heat gun. Anyway, long story short - by the time I unloaded them back in Texas the skin was tight......That my friend, was all wood shrink in the dry air, and swell by the time I got them back here.