RCU Forums - View Single Post - ~~SIG Brotherhood ~~
View Single Post
Old 09-18-2016, 05:35 AM
malitape
My Feedback: (213)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SrTelemaster150
I think the whole "electric" thing is due to the need by some for "instant gratification"..

There is not the same "learning curve" involved with setting up & tuning an ICE. Just spend lots of $$$$ for batteries, chargers, etc, then "plug & play". As long as you don't burn your aircraft or worse, your house, down charging your batteries.
So, just as there is a learning curve for fuel planes, there is a more complicated learning curve for electric, if you DON'T want to burn down your plane or house. You are right in saying that in today's generation, instant gratification is the norm. Don't get me wrong, I love my gassers, I'm not a tree hugger, but there is a place for electric flight. Some people in this hobby have no choice because of noise restrictions and such. So, lets not be too harsh on the electric flyers. They are after all, our brothers in this fabulous hobby of ours. When I go to the field, I take both. When flying my glider, it is possible to stay up for as long as forty-five minutes with no problems with motor control. Let me see a gasser do that. BTW, if it takes three to four hours to charge a battery, there is insufficient power output from the charger, hence the learning curve. Just my two pesos. I thoroughly enjoy the banter on this thread and hope I have not offended anyone.