RCU Forums - View Single Post - Are we as hobbyist UAS users in the clear for now? can we jump for joy? or to soon?
Old 09-18-2016, 12:21 PM
astrohog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by porcia83
Doesn't your club require AMA membership? Isn't the club on privately held property?
I am trying to follow this, and do not understand what point you are trying to make?

I belong to a club that owns a flying field. That club requires AMA membership to belong. The sole reason for this is for the insurance coverage. Another club I belong to leases usage of the flying field from the first club I mentioned, and they too, require AMA membership to belong. The main reason is because it is in the lease agreement, that anyone flying at the field must be an AMA member (due to the insurance coverage offered to AMA clubs and the land owners they rent from).

In my numerous decades of membership in these clubs, I have never heard another reason for being chartered with the AMA beyond the insurance coverage. That has also been the case at EVERY other AMA chartered club that I have had experiences with. It is almost like common knowledge for the majority of members at the majority of AMA clubs that the MAIN reason for being chartered is because of the insurance.

Do not be confused! That is not necessarily my opinion, those are the hard facts. I personally believe the AMA brings other benefits to its members. As you know, I have been vocal about my displeasure with some of the recent actions (or lack thereof) of the AMA. I think the fact that we hear the comment, "the AMA is just a necessary evil to cover our insurance needs" should be a load and clear broadcast that their membership don't know who they are and that they should spend some of their efforts focusing on that fact.

MAYBE the AMA forum on RCU would be a much nicer place to visit!

Regards,

Astro