RCU Forums - View Single Post - Stihl MS660 big bore conversion.
View Single Post
Old 09-24-2016, 02:10 PM
Jim.Thompson

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by av8tor1977
Great job Jim. Very nice plane, and great flying. It's neat to see a low wing plane built as a sport plane/tug instead of a high wing. I like it!
Thanks for the feedback AV8TOR. I particularly favour a neutral power couple that a low wing model is more likely to have. I don't like the plane pitching up when power is applied requiring constant adjustment. The Klemm is neutral in pitch under all power levels.
In the first video, I thought I heard some occasional rich misfiring, and was going to suggest a one screwdriver width adjustment leaner on both needles and see how it did. However, if you have tuned back and forth and can't get rid of it, then it probably is the ignition.
Actually, we did not get to do this between flights, as we were all so busy and I was quite stressed just from getting the plane there to get it flying. So, it could still be a mixture problem, even though my first suspicion is a ignition breakdown. We were all content to get the flights in that we did. Must sound strange I know! I did not have enough spare neurons available to attend to this.
Shot gun it. Replace the ignition, the sensor, and the spark plug, and bypass the ignition switch and run straight from a known good battery. But please, use a new CH or RCEXL, (or RCEXP), and not the Chinese Pegasus.
My budget will not run to the purchase of a second CH ignition system; the international shipping charge on top of the cost of the unit is prohibitive. I can afford to buy one, but not two. Besides, I am hopeful that the Chinese Pegasus will at least show up and eliminate the CH ignition system that I have as being faulty. Also, in the unlikely event it does turn out that the CH CDI is at fault, I don't want another one. I am in correspondence with Adrian currently as you will have read. I plan to try running it at 7.2 volts. I am a bit worried about increasing the voltage though, I have to say. I will bench mount the engine as soon as my replacement props arrive. The first one was broken in the crash.
Also, I am watching and reading about a string of Rxcell ignition problems/failures on the Bull BE124 engine thread with some concern.
Your shotgun method is what I will use.
Thanks again.

Great quality ignitions at both of these places:

http://www.rcextremepower.net/rcxpignitions.html

https://www.ch-ignitions.com/product...ns/single-cdi/

Good luck, you'll get it there.

AV8TOR

Last edited by Jim.Thompson; 10-05-2016 at 11:56 PM.