RCU Forums - View Single Post - How Big is "Big"?
View Single Post
Old 09-25-2016, 01:56 PM
kenh3497

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by born2build
I was reading through a thread somewhere (in this forum, I believe) where a fellow had a question about his 78" Extra 300, or some such thing. The salient details escape me at the moment. However, during the course of the discussion, the whole subject of "bigger flies better" was brought up. Several of those who posted replies informed the O.P. that his 78'' airplane was "small". Now, I started building and flying models back when a .61 was considered a big engine, the .91's were just about to be released, 4-cycle engines were still on the drawing boards, and the whole 1/4 scale movement was still in it's infancy. Fast-forward to today, and you have people who will tell you that if you're not flying a 35% "whatever" or larger airplane with a DA150 (or larger!), you have a small airplane. I, myself have never built any thing larger than a 1/5 scale Waco, with most of my models being what I would call "normal-sized". I also have several of the Pat Tritle designed Dumas kits waiting to be built. I find these truly small models have a certain charm not found in big models. But that's just my opinion. Does anyone care to chime in?
I have much the same experience you do. "Big" is kind of relative to me. I drive a Chevy Colorado pickup which is my plane hauler. I just bought a well used two meter pattern plane. That thing is HUGE when stuffed in the bed of the pickup. The pattern plane has to be put in nose and tail in opposite corners. I can just squeeze in a Pulse XT 40 beside it.

Ken