RCU Forums - View Single Post - Demon cortex questions
View Single Post
Old 09-27-2016, 07:06 AM
F1 Rocket

Received 52 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by wfield0455
Danny, can you provide and info about the relationship between stick priority and dual rate settings in the transmitter ? For example, lets assume I have an airplane where I have 50% dual rates for low rates which I will use for precision flying and high rates set to 100 percent which I will use for extreme aerobatics. I also want the Cortex to decay the gyro gain so that it is essentially off at full stick deflection in each mode so that it doesn't fight my control inputs at all.

I assume I would start by setting both bank 1 and bank 2 for rate mode (have no interest at all in hold mode) and then doing something like setting gains, etc for bank 1 for low rate / precision mode and bank 2 for high rate / 3D mode.
So is there a specific relation ship between stick priority and rates ? It seems there SHOULD be since with different rate settings the Cortex will see different stick deflections. For example, with the Aura 8 gyro which has the ability to set rates and expo internally, setting the stick priority to match the selected rate will cause the Aura to be off at full stick deflection and I would like to be able to understand how to accomplish the same thing with my Cortex. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
I don't know the specific relationship between stick priority and surface travel. As has been suggested by others it should be easy to tell by simply observing the amount of correction applied for various stick deflections. The default stick priority settings are nice for most sport/scale/jet flying. For 3D airplanes I suggest doubling the stick priority for all axis, then adjusting as needed. I test by performing a Pop Top. In this maneuver the rapid yaw rotation at the top is caused by the combination of control surface deflection and the gyroscopic procession that is a result of the rapid application of down (for an upright Pop Top) elevator. Too low a stick priority setting slows the initial application of the control inputs reducing the amount of energy that is transferred to the yaw axis. In addition any relaxation of stick input brings the gains back up which slows/stops the yaw rotation.

Last edited by F1 Rocket; 09-27-2016 at 07:13 AM.