RCU Forums - View Single Post - Need radio recommendation for tank with 8 channels
Old 09-30-2016, 06:08 AM
Tanque

Received 95 Likes on 82 Posts

Hobby shop is correct in English/Amreican.

You know I don't know the answer to the question of the Abrams sounds although I suspect they are similar; if Ivano is watching perhaps he could answer. I will try to experiment with that over the weekend to see if I can determine if they are different. I have been working with two of my desktops to configure the IBU3 and I think I'll set up my laptop as I can move it to the tanks instead of the other way around.

To be honest I don't have much first hand experience with the Clark product vs IBU. Of course I like the IBU's capabilities but I hear good things of Clark's products. I do have some experience with Tamiya's and in comparison there really isn't any. Tamiya is still the original standard, plug and play system that set the standard by which all others will be measured for years to come. IBU( and others) have greatly expanded on that standard..

As to the Radio systems. As I mentioned I 'grew up' with Futaba. My first system in 1974-5 ( I actually bought the system before I bought any model!) was a Futaba aluminum cased 4 channel AM system. I picked Futaba because of their servo selection. Now we pick systems for their configurability but since the servos are generally usable across systems thanks to more standardized plugs/polarities ( and that they are most all digital) servo selection isn't as key. Servos are still important to me as my systems not only have to work with the electronics of 1/16 but my other models as well. being able to quickly reverse, mix and change the rate and range of servo travel is a hot item for me. The current crop of systems are killer at being able to deliver that. in the old days to reverse a servo you had to either buy a reverse travel servo or open one up and rewire it....

From a purely appearance standpoint the i10 is the slickest, thinnest transmitter I have. As with the 9xr,. 9xr Pro, and Trannis systems the i10 has a USB interface but I've not read anything about anything other than chargers using it for the i10. I don't really know a lot about the software behind the i10. Once you have a pc based GUI configuration program to set up the system it is very difficult to go to a system where all you have are the buttons on the transmitter.....

Right now I just think for your money you will be hard pressed to beat the 9Xr Pro system. Someone previously mentioned we should buy a system with a case? When I purchased my Trannis I bought the version with the nifty aluminium case with orange "Trannis" script - it looks like a $20 case from a thrift shop but it is cool....For my most costly systems I purchased a Pelican 1400 which is all the case I'll ever need. There are a lot of options for cases for one's transmitter from inexpensive to quite costly.

If there are specific questions regarding the systems I have I'll gladly answer if I know the answer. If it is too technical regarding signal encoding, bandwidths and protocols I'll defer to others more knowledgeable

Jerry.

P.S. One of the things that we as non aviators STILL have to deal with is that 96% of all system software is geared to flyers. What do you hear when you power up an i10? A jet taking off... At least with the systems based on er9x if you want to rewrite the software to be tank - themed ( like that outfit in Austrailia ) you can do it. BTW the i10 has one of the nicer color displays and quite large..

Last edited by Tanque; 09-30-2016 at 06:13 AM.