RCU Forums - View Single Post - Sim to real life transitioning
View Single Post
Old 10-02-2016, 05:24 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

You are welcome. First the Seniors are (my opinion) the best choice as a first glow/gas powered floatplane ever. I have used just about every float structure that has included Coroplast, built up wood types, sheeted foam core and moulded with coverings such as fiberglas, monocoat heck even used a pair of the wives old panty hose and and resin on one ship.

I think foam core to be an excellent choice But I much prefer the covering to be monocoat even on the bottoms yea the bottoms this definitely keeps the weight down (unlike fiberglas). Works for me (before the rocks start flying). Now since I only have the chance to fly on the water perhaps four times a years its no problem to maintain the bottoms of the floats a little more carefully.

The shortest floats I would recommend for the Seniors is forty inchers 42 better. The trouble with the senior is that very long nose so if one uses a shorter float even though they may have sufficient buoyancy is when you position them where they need to be fore and aft (step is at or slightly behind the CG, The tips of the bows ends up slightly behind the propeller when many kit built or arf floats are used.

I do believe there is one supplier of nice floats left and is a gent up in Main or the northeast anyway. Search here at RCU in the Seaplane forum.

John