RCU Forums - View Single Post - Vailly Aviation Hawker Hurricane Build Thread
Old 10-03-2016, 05:27 AM
DaddySam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I took the Hurricane out to the flying field yesterday, having run out of excuses not to fly it. I've been flying more this year than any other, lots of planes needing rudder, and about the same size as the Hurricane, although none near it's weight. I had my son bring his video camera in the hopes of getting some good video, but his battery was not fully charged. So the video is a combination of my "Hat Cam" Mobius camera and my son's Iphone video. The plane needed more trim that I am used to dialling in, almost 1/8" right aileron, so I'll be looking into why. A friend suggested I balance the wing laterally (I've done it before but did not think to do it with the Hurricane). Even though I checked the gear before I took it to the field, somehow the left tire started rubbing on the strut, causing a veer to the left (more than just engine torque). But the good news is that it flew, and flew well. Other than my jittery nerves, none of my fears materialized. The cooling for the motor worked, the canopy did not come off, and I got it down in one piece. I have been dreading the landing like only you Hurricane flyers can believe. But I think the combination of the smaller scale size flaps and the generous elevator throw solved the issue. I am going to address the rubbing tire, look into the aileron trim, and get it out again sometime before the snow comes.
Below is a picture post-maiden. The exhaust stains are much darker than scale because the motor was spitting out quite a bit of its own, adding to the ones airbrushed on.

The link to the video is here: https://youtu.be/RGaU2mCW4Yg
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hurricane Maiden resize 2.JPG
Views:	507
Size:	130.4 KB
ID:	2184273  

Last edited by DaddySam; 10-03-2016 at 05:28 AM. Reason: bad link