RCU Forums - View Single Post - Glow head brotherhood.
View Single Post
Old 10-04-2016, 05:20 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by N1EDM
Thanks. I'll get that. There isn't any crud or bending that I can see - I cleaned the spraybar just for that reason. I have a pdf of the Sportster carb and it is similar to the "Early Style" except that it doesn't have a separate Nipple (p/n 84-5601). The nipple, mixture, and spraybar all appear to be one piece.
The "nipple" part 84-5601 is the threaded tube sticking out of the mixture disc. You have a complete early carburetor with needle attached to the carb. The later ones don't have that 84-5601 "nipple" - the mixture disc is just smooth and uses a remote needle. Your needle valve looks correct as well. Maybe the needle is bent? It doesn't look bent in the picture, but pictures don't tell the whole story. Try putting a drop of oil on the needle valve and try working it in and out (as if screwing it in and out). As a last resort besides replacing the needle valve, you could lightly sand the large part of the shank of the needle valve with fine sandpaper and lap it to fit, though I don't think that should be necessary. Maybe try a pipe cleaner soaked with acetone and run it through that "nipple" #84-5601.

If you cannot get the needle valve to thread in at all, let me know and I can send you a needle valve. I have a couple spares.

Last edited by 1QwkSport2.5r; 10-04-2016 at 05:24 AM.